Saturday, April 20, 2013

Metacognative Analysis


            My first experience encountering with hybrid essays was this semester in English class.  To be completely honest, this was the first time I even heard about hybrid essays.  After reading a couple hybrid essays, I had a small idea on what made a hybrid essay so different and unique.  It can be a combination of many different pieces of writing or media.  There can be poems, photos, videos added to the essay to make it a hybrid essay.  To clearly create an understanding and get the point through, other sources are used such as the photos and poems.  Instead of the essay describing the photo, the photo is used to describe the essay.  This is able to bring a sense of wisdom for the reader as they read the piece.  There can be a collection of photos or videos with only a couple words as long as the essay has enough information to get its story across. I like how hybrid essays can vary in length and be as long as you desire.  A hybrid essay can also somehow be described as an educational slideshow.

            When I began to write my own hybrid essay, I had trouble starting it.  Although I knew what to write about, it was difficult trying to grab the readers attention.  Since I had to write about my experience with Project Media, I wanted to add every detail and every emotion throughout the process.  I made sure to include what I learned, why this was important, and what I liked about it the most.  The main theme of my essay was how is electronic writing different from other types of writing and how it is beneficial.  I took all the prompt questions and transformed the answer to each question into separate paragraphs.  I did this in order to make sure I explained everything in detail and touched up on every aspect of the question.  In my hybrid essay, I had a combination of the actual essay and a famous Armenian quote.  I wrote how my inspiration for the decision of my topic came from this quote.  I did this so the readers would know why I chose this topic and how I got my ideas or arguments.  I like how Cheyenne Nimes added a poem towards the end of her essay because it gave a clear explanation on what her entire essay was about and that is why I chose to do the same thing. 

            My overall experience with writing a hybrid essay was not too good.  I actually didn't like writing it as much as I enjoyed writing the flash fiction story.  The flash fiction story allowed me to be more creative.  To be completely honest, I prefer not adding anything to my essays, whether they are photos, videos, poems, or quotes.  Just the writing will be enough to provide all the information the reader needs.  Although photos can be entertaining for the reader, what's more important is the writer's choice of style and comfort.  I also felt like we didn't completely understand what a hybrid essay was as a class. If it wasn't for an assignment, I don't think I would ever write another one again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment